What Moving In Together Means
So he wants you to move in with him? Maybe he says that it will prepare you for marriage. Have you thought about what moving in together really means for you?
Cohabitation (living together): Guarding yourself rather than giving yourself.
- I will hold back part of myself in case things dont work out
- I will give you what I have but not who I am
- You can have everything except my heart
This is an uncommitted relationship.
Marriage: Giving yourself rather than guarding yourself.
- I am entrusting myself to you for the rest of my life
- I am committed to you no matter what
- I will always be here for you
This is different from any other kind of relationship. Here, you give yourself as a present to another person.
A Relationship Leading To Marriage
When you are in a relationship that could lead to marriage, it is a good idea not to focus on external physical characteristics. Although these things are important, they will not sustain the relationship. Start by getting to know each other on the inside. Here are some examples:
- Talking about your future goals and plans
- Keeping open communication
- Writing letters to each other
- Going out to lunch together
- Spending time with each others family and friends
- Setting and communicating clearly about physical boundaries
- Setting personal guidelines to keep you out of pressure areas
These choices can help your relationship become something other than just a physical attraction you will have a person attraction.
Want to learn more about a relationship like this? Come to our free Healthy Relationship Class.